About the New Mexico Optometric Association
The New Mexico Optometric Association (NMOA) is the professional organization
of optometrists in New Mexico. Over 150 New Mexico Doctors of Optometry are
voluntary members of the Association.
For over 100 years, the NMOA has assisted
its members in providing the highest standard of professional care to their
patients by sponsoring continuing education programs for doctors, advocating
in local and state governments for programs and laws that represent patients'
best interests, and providing information to assist doctors practicing in a
variety of clinical settings. The NMOA remains committed to representing future
generations of optometrists as they provide the most up-to-date eye care to
New Mexico's citizens.
The NMOA also answers questions from the public and provides
referrals to eye care providers upon request.
The Optometric Oath
As adopted by the American Optometric Association and the Association of
Schools and Colleges of Optometry
With Full Deliberation, I Freely and Solemnly Pledge That:
- I will practice the art and science of optometry faithfully and conscientiously,
and to the fullest scope of my competence.
- I will uphold and honorably promote by example and action the highest
standards, ethics and ideals of my chosen profession and the honor of the
degree, Doctor of Optometry, which has been granted me.
- I will provide professional care for those who seek my services,
with concern, with compassion and with due regard for their human rights and
- I will place the treatment of those who seek my care above personal
gain and strive to see that none shall lack for proper care.
- I will hold as privileged and inviolable all information entrusted
to me in confidence by my patients.
- I will advise my patients fully and honestly of all which may serve
to restore, maintain or enhance their vision and general health.
- I will strive continuously to broaden my knowledge and skills so
that my patients may benefit from all new and efficacious means to enhance
the care of human vision.
- I will share information cordially and unselfishly with my fellow
optometrists and other professionals for the benefit of patients and the advancement
of human knowledge and welfare.
- I will do my utmost to serve my community, my county and humankind
as a citizen as well as an optometrist.
- I hereby commit myself to be steadfast in the performance of this
my solemn oath and obligation.